Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Razmataz!


So how about them Oilers, hey?

This has been just a beauty run for the boys and no matter how it turns out, good times.

See what I'm doing there? I'm being "smart". I'm hedging my bets. I'm not letting that little spark of excitement and hope grow to large for fear of being dashed to the hard cold earth in a bloody, crushing fall.

As the stat boys keep telling me, that's my inevitable end if I allow any runaway optimism to get the best of me.

Sounds like those stat boys are a pile of fun at a party, doesn't it?

I joke, I joke.

The truth (even if I don't want to admit it to myself) is this:

I AM SO CRAZY EXCITED ABOUT THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW!

I mean, come on! How can you have a pulse, call yourself a fan, and not be ridiculously pumped up and excited?

Yes, we might eat the next few games, or just miss the playoffs by a goal or two, but this is a legendary run, isn't it? This gives serious hope for the future, even if the rookies all get buried under the sophomore curse, we have a killer team gelling up here.

This feels like the 80's all over again. And if that feeling is just for this brief period of time, so be it!

In other words, stop being so goddam cautious. Hope, believe, crash and burn...that's what bring a fan is all about. If you want something safe, join a coffee clutch, or race worms or something. For me, I'm cheering. I'm going to suck every last drop of awesomeness from this time.

I'm going to live on the sweet nectar of vicarious victories while they last, and it's going to be sooo good.

So good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You nailed it, grease trap. It's not about the destination so much as the journey. And since the end of February, this rollercoaster officially kicks the hell out of Galaxyland, Disneyland and Legoland (is there a rollercoaster there? I just needed a third "land") combined.

So for tonight's last reg-season game against the Flames: GOILERS!